Mobility Network Summer School: Planning More Equitable Transportation Systems
Call for applications
Mobility Network calls for applications for “Planning More Equitable Transportation Systems,” a two-day summer school taking place on July 18 and 19, 2022 at the University of Toronto’s St. George campus.
About the summer school
With urban inequality on the rise, there is a growing understanding that government investments in infrastructure can be used to provide new opportunities to people belonging to marginalized groups. Despite recognizing the importance of incorporating equity into current planning practices, most transportation planning agencies currently have unclear equity goals, and they lack the data and methods necessary to assess the potential equity impacts of their planning decisions.
The goal of “Planning More Equitable Transportation Systems” is to provide students with a baseline understanding of transportation equity. Topics will span theoretical and methodological debates in transportation equity, and include hands-on instruction in conducting equity analyses for a proposed transit project.
At the end of the summer school, students will have a better understanding of the theories of distributive justice and the theory and measurement of accessibility, as well as knowledge of how equity analysis can be applied to both transit and active travel planning in practice.
- Dr. Floridea Di Ciommo, CambiaMO co-founder
- Professor Steven Farber, Department of Human Geography, University of Toronto Scarborough
- Professor Christopher Higgins, Department of Human Geography, University of Toronto Scarborough
- Dr. Willem Klumpenhouwer, Postdoctoral Fellow at Transit Analytics Lab, Department of Civil & Mineral Engineering, University of Toronto
- Dr. Rafael Pereira, Institute for Applied Economic Research (Ipea), Brazil
- Professor Meghan Winters, Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University
There is no cost to attend, but space is limited. Applicants must:
- be students or postdoctoral fellows;
- commit to attend the summer school from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on both July 18 and 19, 2022;
- submit an application by June 22, 2022; and
- if accepted, bring their own laptops to engage in accessibility calculations under the guidance of instructors.
- complete a pre-Summer School assignment: Tasks 1, 2, and 3 described on pages 6-8 of Equity Analyses of Transport Futures: Draft Handbook, prepared by Dr. Willem Klumpenhouwer for Mobilizing Justice, July 2022.
How to apply
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Mobility Network Summer School” and include:
- A one-paragraph statement of interest in the summer school; and
- A one-page CV that includes your contact details, department, degree program, and research areas.
Due date for applications
Applications will be accepted until June 22, 2022.
Notification of results
Mobility Network regrets that due to limited capacity, it may not be possible to accept all applicants. Notifications will be emailed to all applicants on or before July 4, 2022.
Email us at email@example.com.